Why is Spotlight not working on my Mac?
Spotlight Search Not Working on MacBook: Check Your SpotLight Preferences. It is also important that you confirm your Spotlight Search preferences. Click on the Apple Menu at the top and choose System Preferences > Spotlight. … Quit System Preferences and Spotlight will start re-indexing this folder/drive.
How do you reset the search bar on a Mac?
Click and hold the Spotlight icon on the menu bar, until the Spotlight window has returned to its original location. Agreed, this is the correct answer. This is the right answer.
How do I change Spotlight on Mac?
On your Mac, use Spotlight System Preferences to change the categories that appear in Spotlight search results, and to exclude specific folders or disks from Spotlight searches. Learn how to use Spotlight. To change these preferences, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.
How do I reindex my Mac hard drive?
Rebuild the Spotlight index
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Drag the disk or folder that you want to re-index to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching in. …
- From the same list of locations, select the disk or folder that you’ve just added.
How do I enable Spotlight on my Mac?
How to access and use Spotlight in macOS
- Click on the Spotlight button in the menu bar; it looks like a magnifying glass. Or, use the Command + Space keyboard shortcut. The Spotlight search field will appear in the middle of your screen.
- Type in your search query. Spotlight will return results as you type.
How do I turn off Spotlight indexing on Mac?
MacOS Sierra: Enable/Disable Spotlight Indexing
- From the Finder, select the Apple Menu then choose “System Preferences…“.
- Select “Spotlight“, located in the top row.
- Check the items you wish to allow Spotlight to index. Uncheck the items you don’t want Spotlight to index.
How do I turn off Spotlight on my Mac?
How to turn off Spotlight search on Mac
- Reboot your Mac. Click the Apple menu and choose Restart.
- Get into Recovery Mode. On your Mac’s restart, hold down Command+R to enter Recovery Mode.
- Run Terminal. In the Utilities menu on the top-left, choose Terminal.
- Disable SIP. …
- Restart your Mac.
- Disable Spotlight.
What is Spotlight indexing on Mac?
Spotlight is a system-wide desktop search feature of Apple’s macOS and iOS operating systems. Spotlight is a selection-based search system, which creates an index of all items and files on the system. … There are also command-line tools to perform functions such as Spotlight searches.
How do you delete things from Spotlight search on Mac?
What Does Work for Deleting Spotlight Messages Permanently
- GO TO: Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Check Messages > General.
- GO TO: Spotlight and perform a search for anything that would normally bring up your old messages.
- GO TO: Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Uncheck Messages > General.
How do I set up Spotlight?
More videos on YouTube
- Step One – Select Set Up a Device. Watch it on YouTube. …
- Step Two – Scan the QR Code on Your Device. …
- Step Three – Insert Batteries into Your Spotlight. …
- Step Four – Add Your Spotlight to a Light Group. …
- Step Five – Name Your Spotlight. …
- Step Six – Remove the Base. …
- Step Seven – Install your Spotlight.